Recipe adapted from Oriyarasoi
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 1 litre Full fat milk
- 1 tbsp while vinegar
- 1 tsp semolina
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 10 to 15 strands of saffron dissolved in 1 tsp of warm milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups of water
- 1 or 2 drops of yellow colour ( optional )
- 4 to 5 cardamons
- Boil milk and add vinegar to curdle. Drain the whey and retain the chenna ( cheese).
- Use a muslin cloth to squeeze excess whey and hang it for 30 minutes or until it’s dry.
- In a bowl or bench top, Mix chenna, semolina, sugar and strands of saffrons. knead them throughly using your palm. This might take 10 to 15 minutes until it feels soft and no cracks are formed when you roll them into balls.
- Add colour if you wish and mix them properly.
- Now add 5 cups of water, sugar and cardamoms in the pressure cooker and when it starts to boil, gently slide the rolled Chenna balls. Close the lid ( without the pressure whistle) and cook on a high flame for 5 minutes and further 25 minutes on a medium flame.
- In a separate pan, boil 4 cups of water.
- Remove the balls from the syrup using a slotted spoon and transfer them to the boiling water. Boil them for 5 minutes and transfer them again to the syrup.
- Stand for 15 minutes and serve hot.