Sounds intriguing but please don’t get that impression that it contains any thing of a humming bird, the name itself is a mystery and till now no adequate research supports the origin of its name. It is a strange name and quite interesting to be named after a tiny bird. I found an article relating to this cake in Squidoo and there are few facts relating to the origin of the cake. Some say that people hmmm after biting a slice, so it is known as Humming bird cake! Read this if it fascinates you.
I heard this from my dear journal that occasionally post these and they refer to it as one of the classics for the great southern land. It is quite a common that one gets to see the overripe bananas starring at you and u have no choice than to blend it to a smoothie or bake a moist cake. So this is basically a banana cake with a classic twist of adding pineapple, coconut and delicately flavorings with cinnamon.
This original article in (2008) was featured in Chicago Sun Times
2017 I recently made this cake or loaf. Here is the updated picture. I have loved the way the pictures have changed but the taste of the cake remains the same.
HOW TO MAKE HUMMMING BIRD CAKE
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple (microwaved for 2 to 3 minutes
- with 1 tbsp sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup milk
- ½ chopped walnuts/ pecans
- 1 large banana mashed
- 1tsp salt
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, coconut, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Whisk sugar, oil and egg until well incorporated. Add chopped pineapple. Gradually add flour and milk alternatively till incorporated well. Finally add bananas and nuts.
- Pour into a loaf pan or any pan of your choice. Bake in a preheated oven of 180″C for 25 min to 30 minutes.